Sunday, December 27, 2009

Oh, I Didn't See You There

Four days until a flurry of MFA program apps are due. Clearly time to start a blog in which I write about writing. I know...you are flipping out about the wit of the title.

I'm currently in the Rustic Homeland, in the two square feet of our house that gets internet, attempting to finish what the University of Michigan calls an "Academic Statement of Purpose." Though I thought the whole reason I was trying to get into an MFA was so that I could NOT be an academic, and could instead live in a small but quaint apartment with a metal speckled tea kettle and write about life. And occasionally take on side projects such as starting a school. Unclear how this would all work out schedule-wise...instead of worrying about that I have been spending a considerable amount of time planning my future apartment design, and daydreaming about how next year I will learn to bake bread, always clean up after myself, and never drink coffee, only Irish tea that's really from Ireland. To think I was once responsible for eighty children's safety and summer learning. How the mighty have fallen.

But seriously it has been quite cool to write a statement of purpose and clarify for myself that I really DO have a purpose, which is to write, and dedicate myself fully to that, in the hopes that one day I will learn to balance some semblance of a teaching life and a writing life. How thrilling.

Currently Reading:
Best American Short Stories 2009, edited by Alice Sebold
especially "Yurt"by Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum

1 comment:

  1. JKnight-class of____ are you fucking kidding me? you don't know what class?November 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM

    how did i miss this comment. the irish tea is essential. your blog tags are outrageous and sensational. and that poem about shitting in someone's back pack was certainly not the work of cambridge. you are a far more sophisticated and edgy author now. i hope you have reached the point where you wear your lingerie over your clothes

    ReplyDelete