Friday, July 16, 2010

Turn Up Your Radio

Perusing through journals tonight I found a list called "My Favorite Songs...In my 21st Year." Thank you, 21-year-old self.

Slow Dance - John Legend
Valerie - Mark Ronson feat. Amy Winehouse
Rock n Roll - The Velvet Underground
Nothing Can Change This Love - Sam Cooke
Call Me - Aretha Franklin
The Big Payback - James Brown
Caravan - Van Morrison
Stop Breaking Down - White Stripes

Watching that performance of Caravan confirmed for me once and for all that whatever the writer equivalent of Van Morrison is, that's the writer I want to be. If it requires a stretchy purple-sparkle suit and vigorous leg kicks, this is no obstacle for me. If it requires reading poetry and humorous memoir in dive bars whilst the haters hate, so be it. I believe I will skip over the drunken slurring, however. Sorry, Van the Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment