Wednesday, April 7, 2010

How I Feel About Astral Weeks



I do not love many things more than Cher. Astral Weeks is one of those things. It is one of Van the Man’s first albums, back in the days when he was drunkenly rampaging through dive bars and gargling Irish music to people who did not appreciate him. To this, I can only say: Van,



It’s got that special something. Lines about driving chariots? Check. Harps? Check. White man with soul? Check.

But THEN, as though the creation of this album wasn’t enough, Van goes ahead and does a complete live recreation of it at Hollywood Bowl in 2008. When I heard about this I actually might have peed a little. The live album is exactly what you would expect from an aged veteran of Irish soul music, i.e. you cannot make out a single thing he is saying. I love you, Van.




(Is it just me or does he kind of look like my dad?)

2 comments:

  1. SOOO FRIGGEN MUCH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...it's just you? Although considering that Dad has made himself a microphone stand out of a tripod (and mike) and is learning the words to more Van The Man songs to sing karaoke-style, you might not be far off. How timely, then, this is.

    ReplyDelete